Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summer Veggies!

One of the things I love about my neighborhood is that from May through October I can get fresh veggies at the end of my block. Shepperson's Produce Stand has been serving Richmond for nearly 40 years, according to a segment on Virginia Currents. Watch Here.

Shep's Produce is located on the corner of Libbie Ave & Patterson Ave.
Curtis Shepperson runs the stand with help from his son, Charlie. Every interaction I've ever had with them is extremely pleasant. They talk to you like you grew up down the street from them, and at times I wish I had. They carry the usual southern staples like Hanover tomatoes, butterbeans, corn, and squash. Also on the table: local honey, pickled beets, and jams. The stock rotates depending on what's available. Strawberries in early Spring, tomatoes and corn during the Summer, apples and pumpkins in the Fall.

Today I picked up a few things at the stand.



1 cucumber, 1 zucchini, 1 yellow squash, 2 Hanover tomatoes, and a couple hand fulls of green beans.
I gladly paid five dollars for the whole lot. Now, the only problem is deciding on what to eat first. I'm thinking green beans with bacon, cucumber and tomato salad, and grilled (or maybe fried) zucchini and squash.
Whatever I make, it will be accompanied by a beer and some bluegrass.

No comments:

Post a Comment